Happy day-before St. Patrick’s Day!
Whoever first thought to combine chocolate and mint deserves some kind of lifetime achievement award, at least in my books. It’s one of my all-time favourite sweet pairings, so much so that I was rarely found without a box of Junior Mints in my purse during my high school years. These days, I eschew those high-fructose corn syrup droplets of yum in favour of more natural alternatives. I have found some pretty fantastic organic dark chocolate + mint bars over the last few years that satisfy the craving and taste infinitely better, but today I wanted to give a nod to the Irish side of my heritage and celebrate the holiday in a healthful way.
Since many of us will be indulging in a drink (or two, or three) tomorrow night, I thought a nutritious smoothie filled with protein, healthy fats, and plenty of greens would be just the thing to start the day off right – or perhaps rejuvenate on the morning after.
Oh, and did I mention there’s matcha, too? Maybe I should have called this the “detox, energy-boosting, antioxidant filled, fat-burning smoothie” instead, but… the title seems a little unwieldy. However you want to call it, this smoothie is going to rock your morning.
Peppermint Patty Smoothie (serves 1)
~ gluten free, vegan, soy free, refined sugar free, grain free ~
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 cups organic baby spinach
- big handful of fresh mint (or 1-2 drops pure peppermint extract)
- 1/4 medium avocado
- 1 serving vegan chocolate protein powder
- 1 tsp cacao nibs
- 4 ice cubes
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp maca (optional)
- Add all ingredients to your blender and process until smooth.
- It will probably come out fairly thick, so feel free to thin it out with a little bit of cold water. I added maybe 1/4 cup of water the first time, but only a couple tbsp the second time.
- Top with extra cacao nibs, if desired.